Burundi still insists on demanding Rwanda hand over coup plotters

Date: 2025-03-29
news-banner

Burundi has insisted on its demand that Rwanda hand over those who tried to overthrow Pierre Nkurunziza in May 2015.

 

In a press conference on March 28, 2025, Burundian President Gatoni Rosine Guilene said that these individuals sought to overthrow the government established by the people and should be prosecuted.

 

Burundian President Evariste Ndayishimiye recently attacked Rwanda, accusing it of plotting to invade his country through the armed group RED Tabara.

 

The Rwandan government said that Ndayishimiye made these comments while the security services of these countries were continuing talks to discuss how to protect their borders in the event of a war in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

 

Gatoni was asked if Ndayishimiye's words did not explain that the progress made by the two countries in these talks had regressed, indicating that what should have been asked was why the talks were not concluded.

 

He said, "Instead, if you ask 'Why are these talks not concluded or why is there no solution?' The understanding between Burundi and Rwanda is based on Rwanda. The day Rwanda wants to implement what it agreed to, that day the relationship will be good again."

Gatoni said that RED Tabara was the group that attempted to overthrow the Burundian government in 2015 and that “having liberated Burundi and Burundians countless times, it is living comfortably on Rwandan soil and is supported by the Rwandan government.”

 

He explained that Ndayishimiye was the one who initiated the talks with Rwanda, asking for those he said “liberated Burundi”. If it sent them to their country, the borders would be opened immediately, never to be closed again.

 

Gatoni said that “When Rwanda requests talks, the Burundian government is always ready, always waiting for the country that wants to send them… This means that the understanding is based on the Rwandan state.”

 

The Burundian government closed the borders in January 2024. It had been less than a month since it began accusing Rwanda of supporting RED Tabara after it launched an attack in the Gatumba zone in Bujumbura.

 

At the time, the Rwandan government responded that Ndayishimiye's statement was untrue, as "Rwanda has no connection with any Burundian armed group."

 

The Rwandan government indicated that it could not extradite to Burundi those who attempted to overthrow Nkurunziza's government, as doing so would violate international law protecting refugees.

 

Leave Your Comments